Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Baby Eagan - NICU Day 1

Eagan was born at 25 weeks gestation on April 11. He is doing absolutely amazing and such a little fighter! During my c-section, I was able to see Eagan for a brief moment before he was whisked away to the NICU. He is now in his own room until he is a little more stable.


Here is a run-down of his current status:

Weight
1 lb 14 oz

Length
12.5"


Breathing
A ventilator is helping Eagan breath so he is not using his energy and burning excess calories. The ventilator is currently on a low setting with "room air"  going through it. This means the air has the same oxygen level that we breathe in.

Eagan was given a protein called surfactant to help prevent his lungs from collapsing and making it easier for them to expand.

His lungs were not well expanded on his first chest x-ray, but given how well he is breathing,  the doctor expects a large improvement by Eagan's next x-ray.

Vein Access
An umbilical arterial line was placed just like it was an umbilical cord. This gives doctors easy access to check blood pressures, take blood, and administer medications without sticking Eagan with needles.

An umbilical vein line was also placed, but is not precisely where it needs to be. Tomorrow, a PICC line (peripherally inserted central catheter) will be placed as another method to give Eagan IV fluids and medications.

Medications
Eagan is getting two antibiotics for the next 48 hours, Ampicillin and Gentamicin. These are needed because the amniotic sac was ruptured for so long, which could cause an infection.

His blood pressure is running low currently so he is getting a medication called Dopamine to help raise his pressure.

Nutrition
I am pumping breastmilk for Eagan. He will be getting tiny amounts on a swab in his mouth. Currently, he is getting vitamins through his umbilical catheter. In a few days, he will start lipids and eventually breastmilk. 

Jaundice
Eagan is jaundiced, as almost all premature babies are. Starting tomorrow morning, he will sleep under bilirubin lights to help reduce his levels.


Thank you for all your love, support and prayers. Eagan's birth story is coming soon!

8 comments:

Jenni said...

Thinking about you both and praying like crazy!!! Sending you all of my love and support!!

-Jen Paradise

Emma Hale said...

I enjoy reading what you have to post. Not only does it save me and everyone from asking a million questions but also educates us. I couldn't imagine what you and your family are going through at this crucial time! You sound much stronger than myself. Take care, The Hale Family will be thinking of The Stokes Family!

Denise Skelton said...

Hi! My friend Kellee told me about you and your precious little one. I am praying for you and will continue! Our daughter was born at 28w1d and is doing great now. The NICU road is long and bumpy, but it is very rewarding. You will be SO glad you are blogging about it (especially the way you broke it down in this post!)-I wish I had kept better notes each day! If I can do anything, feel free to let me know!!!
Denise
www.arrowsinourhand.blogspot.com

mom2tad+1 said...

Hi Sarah! I am one of the mommy's on the July Mommies facebook page. Glad to here that you and Eagan are doing good. He sounds like quite the little fighter!! My family and I, as well as the choir members and others from my church, are praying for Eagan and you and your family . He is already a miracle baby!! We are believing for more miracles to come in his little life!! Stay strong and take care of yourself!! Looking forward to reading more updates!! Take care and God Bless!!
Brandi

jess23487 said...

Hello Sara and Family! I am also one of the July mommies, just wanted to let you know our family is praying for you and baby Eagan! Stay strong and God Bless!

Tameron said...

Hi Sarah, I am also one of the July mommies. I glad to hear that Eagan is doing so well. He is definitely a fighter! We are all praying for you and your family. Can't wait to see more updates on how well he is doing. Take care
Tameron

Danielle @ We Have It All said...

Hi Sarah, I'm a July mama too :) I just wanted to let you know that we are praying for your whole family. I am looking forward to reading updates on baby Eagan!

Thanks for updating!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much ladies. I firmly believe that all the prayers Eagan and I have received play a crucial role in the amazing results we have had so far. I just visited my beautiful boy this morning and the nurses just cannot believe how good he is doing. We are so BLESSED!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com