Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Baby Eagan - NICU Day 35 - Thankful


 Today, I am thankful. Although my baby is going through so much, I still have so much more to be thankful for. 
  • God. He has gotten us this far and will get us through the rest. 
  • My faith. It has been rocky at times, but since Eagan has arrived, I have no doubts.
  • My family. They babysit the kids during the day at my house and are there whenever I need them, even if it is just to take a break and have lunch.
  • Our amazing doctors and nurses. Eagan has had some of the most amazing people in his life. Two of our very favorite nurses came to visit little man at the new hospital last week. They even brought all my breast milk from the other hospital so that when he begins to eat, it will be here. I cannot tell you how much their visit meant to me and I know Eagan enjoyed hearing the voices of two awesome ladies who cared for him for the majority of his NICU stay at his birth hospital.
  • Most of all, the little things. Each tiny advancement gives me a reason to celebrate. Today Eagan was doing much better and needed less blood pressure medication and the ventilator is breathing two less times per minute for him. Small numbers but huge reasons to celebrate. 
 I get to walk into the NICU every morning and my boy is there. Exactly one week ago, we sat in a waiting room not knowing if we would need to take Eagan off life support. So today, instead of being sad or angry, I am thankful. Thankful that I can hold his little hand and he knows I am there. Thankful that I have the opportunity to spend time with him. But mostly, thankful beyond words that little Eagan is still in our lives, still fighting, and still getting better.

He holds my finger through every needle stick and various procedure.
Here is a run-down of his current status:

Weight
Eagan was not weighed today or last night.

Length 
14" at last measurement
 
Breathing
Eagan is now on the conventional ventilator. His settings are currently at 40 breaths per minute.

Vitals
Eagan's blood pressure is doing even better today.

Vein and Artery Access
The arterial line is in his head.

Eagan has an IV in his head and left arm.

A CVL, central venous line, was placed during surgery. 


Medications
Sodium bicarbonate is being given for acidic ph levels.

Calcium gluconate is being given since his levels were low in his blood work.

Hydrocortisone has been started to help with blood pressure and stress response.
His Dopamine is down from 20 micrograms just a few days ago to 3 micrograms.

Eagan is on Vancomycin and Meropenum - both antibiotics, Amphotericin for the yeast infection in his blood, and Synthroid for low thyroid levels.

Nutrition
Eagan's only sources of nutrition right now are his TPN fluids and lipids.

Output

Eagan has a foley catheter in place. His urine output was a bit better today.

Transfusions

Eagan had transfusion #19 of blood today.

Thank you for all your love, support and prayers.

1 comments:

Marci said...

I am thankful to you for sharing your journey with all of us! Keep on fighting little Eagan! You have a big "fan club" cheering you on!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com